Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Make this year's holidays different?

Kinda funny ...or sad really how everyone runs around being festive for festivity sake and never slows the train down enough to really take-in the season we are in.
This is my 34th Christmas. 11th as a husband, 9th as a father. And to say that I have the recipe for the perfect holiday is far from accurate. But, about 3 years ago my wife and I had an epiphany of sorts.
What if we stopped the madness? I mean really halted things during the holidays?
No driving ...more staying still. Create memories with our little family.
So I offer this as an example. You might say "sorry man that won't work for us." Or maybe you can take a little idea and mold it in to a family tradition of your own.
 I know some of you do something like this ...and I commend you for beating me to the idea.

What if this year .... we didn't drive hours someplace only to turn right around shortly and drive right back...?
    We lit a fire in the fireplace and played Sorry, Clue and other various boardgames way to late ...?
Rent movies we always wanted to see at the theater but missed years ago ... stayed in pajamas all day, ate sushi we fixed at home together. Slept late repeatedly. Snacked all day ...
Stared at Christmas lights and prayed for snow ...?
Turned off the newscasts ...?
...Popped popcorn and ate peanut brittle and fudge before lunch. Drank way to much coffee ...? Didn't take on any major "home improvement projects"? Baked "Birthday Cake for Jesus", watched the Nativity, and read the story from Luke on Christmas Eve ...
 Turned off the cell and computer ... told stories to the kids of when I was their age ...(and watching their faces react to the idea of my being their age ever!)
Didn't try to solve family problems ...
Played old Nintendo games while the little ones giggle at mommy beating daddy at Mario Cart.
Laugh as my kids pound on pots and pans running in the yard at the stroke of midnight New Year's Eve ...
...Create memories ...that my kids will tell their kids ...
Loved more ...argued less ... ponder about all God has given me ...and thank Him ...
What if?

No comments: