Friday, November 20, 2009

Blog Rewind

Connection ...leadership ...and how many friends??

I have been preparing for my classes that I teach this term on Media and Ministry ...and I have these insights that I wanted to blog.
-Number 1.
Connection is all people talk about ...but few fully understand it.
What I mean is everybody is facebooking, tweeting or in general social networking crazy! (those that aren't, are a shrinking minority) But, do we really grasp the magnitude of this? Can we really say that we are friends with this many people? Some think so ...I prefer to see it as a great way to stay in touch and keep some connection to people that I respect and want to learn from.
-Number 2.
Leadership is at an all time low in our world! Seriously! Can you ever remember when we have had so much indecision by our business leaders and so on? I've heard it said that 90% of people would prefer to follow ...and 10% want to lead. So if that many want to follow ...they'll follow someone even if they are being led in a bad direction!
-Number 3.
The church must embrace people's desire to connect! Essentially shunning social media ...or worse staying stuck in the old ways of doing things (same old media adds, print, etc) is only going to make people think that much more that the church isn't interested in being relevant.
-Number 4.
Knowledge is essential.
If we constantly stay educated and well versed in the latest methods of communication we will always have better answers for those who are searching. The church should lead not follow. Enough excuses that we don't have time ...or don't have the staff ...or the funds!
Think creative ...and ask God for wisdom to help beyond the limitations that we place on ourselves.
All for now,
God Speed

No comments: